A horde of cockroaches crawled all over the clean silverware, ladles and spoons at a Margate Vietnamese restaurant ordered shut last week by state inspectors.
The state of Florida also temporarily closed Coolgreens in Delray Beach for a swarm of flies that contaminated cheese and boiled eggs.
The South Florida Sun Sentinel highlights restaurant inspections in Broward and Palm Beach counties from the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation. We cull through hundreds of restaurant and bar inspections that happen weekly and spotlight places ordered shut for “high-priority violations,” like improper food temperatures or dead cockroaches.
Sun Sentinel readers can browse full Broward, Palm Beach and Miami-Dade county reports on our state inspection map, updated weekly (usually Monday) with fresh data pulled from the Florida DBPR website.
Any restaurant that fails inspections must stay closed until it passes a follow-up state inspection. If you spotted a possible violation and wish to file a complaint, contact Florida DBPR here. (But don’t contact us: The Sun Sentinel doesn’t inspect restaurants.)
1821 N. State Road 7
Ordered shut: April 14 and April 15, reopened April 15
Why: Seven violations (one high priority), such as an infestation of 13 live cockroaches “on bottle brush at front bar counter in dining room” and on “door frame to women’s bathroom” in the dining room, as well as 18 dead roaches in “drawer for various sizes of single-use souffle cups,” inside a drawer of silverware, ladles and spoons in the dining room, and “under equipment at front bar counter in dining room.” More live roaches discovered during an inspection the next day forced the state to close the restaurant again, but a third inspection later that same day found zero issues, clearing Vo An to reopen.
1841 S. Federal Highway, Unit 400
Ordered shut: April 11, reopened April 12
Why: Inspectors uncovered 10 violations (two high priority), led by this eye-opener: “accumulation of dead flies on food,” including Parmesan cheese, corn, feta cheese and boiled eggs,” as well as “under food containers in display cooler” – an area the operator later sanitized. At least 16 live flies, for their part, also infested the restaurant’s “sliced almonds at display cooler,” hovering and landing on food containers and cutting boards in the restaurant’s rear kitchen. The restaurant also was ordered to stop selling and throw away its boiled eggs, feta cheese, corn, Parmesan cheese and sliced almonds – all of which had dead flies in their containers – due to “food not being in a wholesome, sound condition.” The restaurant was allowed to reopen the next day after inspectors found a single minor issue.