Thank you for supporting our journalism. This article is available exclusively for our subscribers, who help fund our work at the Sun Sentinel.
Two of everyone’s favorite B-words are back in South Florida in a big way.
“The Promenade is nice because they have a big pavilion and it’s covered, which made for a great area to put our bar,” says event organizer Nancy Stewart, referring to the festival’s second year at the al fresco gathering place alongside Lake Wellington’s shore. “It’s beautiful that it’s on the waterfront — that’s a beautiful backdrop. They built the new boat docks. We love that we get a lot of residents that live in the area who bring their pontoon boats.”
As the title spells out, the outdoor two-day event will spotlight whiskey and pork products as well as arts and crafts vendors. Even better, admission is free.
Also returning this year will be the Last Drop Bar, with rare and limited spirits offered “…until it’s gone,” adds Stewart. “This was very popular last year. We had some really very rare bourbons that were available and people loved it.”
The three distillers featured at the bourbon bars are Luxco, Jospeh Magnus and Garrison Brothers, each offering flights as well as glasses.
The Last Drop will spotlight Benjamin Prichard’s Rye Whiskey, Buffalo Trace, Clyde Mays Straight Bourbon, Collier & McKeel, Colonel E.H. Taylor Single Barrel and Small Batch, Kinsey Rye and Kinsey Whiskey, Legacy, Peerless Small Batch and Stagg Jr.,
The specialty cocktails at the Last Drop will be made with Ezra Brooks 99 proof, Hirsch Horizon Bourbon, Jim Beam Fire, Journeyman Featherbone Bourbon, Rebel Yell Bourbon and Skrewball.
Mixed drinks — made with Ezra 99 — will include Moscow Mules, Bourbon Bloody Marys, Manhattans and Old Fashioneds.
In addition to Delray Beach’s A Kitchen empanadas, Lake Worth’s Gilbert Rib King BBQ whole pig roast, pulled pork and ribs, other food vendors will include:
- Ke’Niya’s Kitchen out of West Palm Beach with a variety of bacon-on-a-stick dishes (garlic ginger candied, white chocolate pistachio, maple honey vanilla, jerk, chocolate, bacon & biscuit)
- The Purple Shrimp out of West Palm Beach (shrimp po boy, fish po boy, bourbon & butter bread pudding with vanilla ice cream and bacon & corn fritters).
- Henry’s Kitchen out of Port St. Lucie (battered bacon with fries, honey-covered cinnamon bacon with fries, chocolate-covered bacon with fries, fried pork belly with fries, loaded fries with bacon and loaded mac & cheese with bacon)
- Genoa Italian Concessions out of Orlando (bacon cheese dogs, bacon cheeseburgers, bacon cheese fries and a wide variety of menu items from chicken parmigiana sandwiches to surf & turf meals)
- The Bacon & Bourbon Fest will take place at 12150 Forest Hill Blvd., Wellington.
- Hours are 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday, March 26 and 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday, March 27.
- There is free parking onsite at the Wellington Community Center and the Wellington Aquatics Complex
- If you want updates and special deals, text the word “bacon” to 833-222-1965.
- For more information, go to BaconBourbonFest.com.